Some things just like to eat fish. Take the Grizzly Bear for instance. There’s nothing quite as wild and dynamic as watching a big Kodiak dine on salmon in the Alaskan wilderness. It’s nature at it’s best. But it’s a different story when the wild, and sometimes not-so-wild creatures start visiting your backyard fish pond. [...]
There are many water plants that will play important roles in the health and wellbeing of your pond. One of the major players is going to be floating plants. Floating pond plants play many roles that help with maintenance, but contribute to the health of the wildlife surrounding your pond. Nitrates and phosphates are [...]
Water pond plants are essential to your body of water. They will provide nutrients to your water and help balance the water in you pond. There are all types of plants for all types of ponds, but here are a few plants that you’ll want no matter the type of pond you are building or [...]
There are many things that can grow in a large pond or lake. Algae is one of the more common things you’ll find but along with that, or in place of it, a pond weed will take root and sometimes take over a pond or water way. Some of these aquatic weeds can be very [...]
A sick pond fish, no matter what kind it is (koi, goldfish, etc) is one of the most disconcerting things that a pond owner will run into. It’s stressful, worrysome, and can make any fish-loving person have some sleepless nights. For some fish ailments, there isn’t always a simple and easy answer to remedy [...]
What you’re about to read may seem far-fetched our just plain weird but did you know that feeding your fish a pea, just once a day for awhile, can help with digestive problems? According to some veterinarians with experience in fish health, it’s possible. One of the signs of digestive issues with fish may involve [...]
Most people that build a small pond or water garden usually want to add fish into the mix at some point. If you want a backyard fish pond there’s one key tool that you can’t afford to overlook and that’s a good quality pond filter. Pond filters are one of those things that will play [...]
A fish pond in the backyard is something that many people dream of owning. Yet for all of the relaxing benefits of a small pond, they can also be a source of many headaches if they’re not built or set up right with the proper equipment. In the article that follow’s we’ll cover some of [...]
Keeping koi fish healthy all year round can be easy with just a little know-how. Achieving and maintaining good water quality is necessary, and from there the population will take care of themselves. There are a number of steps one should follow in order to ensure that koi keep their beautiful, entertaining vigor and vitality [...]
Pond Talk Topics
Search Pond Talk
- Do It Yourself (DIY) Pond Filters – Our Favorite Designs January 21, 2011
- Preparing Your Pond For Fall November 21, 2010
- Predators And Your Pond Fish April 2, 2012
- Winter Aeration Tips For Large Ponds February 10, 2011
- Pond Weed Control And Treatments March 11, 2011
- The Most Effective Way To Protect Fish From Herons March 18, 2013
- A BIG Pond Project February 2, 2013
- Water Pumps For Ponds – What You Need To Know April 14, 2012
- Pond Supplies And Tips For Beginners April 5, 2012
- Rain Water Collection for Small Pond and Water Garden Owners April 5, 2012
- pondtalk: Just a follow up to this post, now that we're...
- pondtalk: Hi Bob...the PondBiotix pellets are great to use u...
- Bob: Mark, I have been using Biotix ME this year, is th...
- Mark Washburn: HI Jeff...I think this sounds like a great set up ...
- Jeff Akers: I 've built a Koi pond at the end of last sum...